If you’re a new musician hoping to make it big, these tips are here to help you do so.
- Start by building a website. There are many ways that you can build your own website but you should think about using Squarespace to host and manage it. This is highly recommended because it is quite inexpensive and there are many great features that you can use such as its e-commerce capabilities. This will ensure that you can sell your merchandise to your fans since Facebook does not qualify as a website where you can do these type of transactions.
- Sell your songs and music on the web. Once you have released an album and have fans, you should definitely start selling your music online. There are many platforms that you can use to do this such as Bandcamp and SongCast. These platforms will not only help you to sell your music but your fans can also select how they want to get your music. When you use these type of services, you will have a lot more control as an artist. You can buy Spotify plays to boost your music.
- Use social media. When it comes to getting more fans then you definitely need social media. These platforms enable you to easily and quickly share your pictures, thoughts as well as your story with millions and even billions of people without costing a dime. There are also many different social media platforms so you can simply choose one or a few which are suitable to you and complement your personal style. Alternatively, you can have profiles on different social media and create content specifically for each one as oppose to posting the same content to each platform. Remember, most fans want interesting and real-life images, so be sure to have an Instagram account since it is quite a popular and effective platform for many musicians.
- Start building an email list. Even though you may think that building an email list is old, it is actually still quite effective for one on one communication and correspondence. Most people who fall in the Generation Z and Millennial category use it not only for communication but also to keep records. You can easily choose a cheap email provider such as Aweber or MailChimp to start collecting the emails of your fans. You can do this by having a form on your website where you ask for their email and you will build your list over time.
- Make sure to update regularly and intelligently. Once you have your fans on social media, you will need to post updates on these platforms. However, you need to make sure that the information that you post is easily accessible. Remember that not everyone uses Instagram so you should not post information or updates that indicate that you’ll announce your next show only through Instagram or even only through email. Additionally, you also need to remember that you need to format your posts differently for different channels. For example, you would post quite differently on Twitter than you would on Facebook. So, be sure to learn about each of the channels you intend on using as well as look at what other well-known musicians are doing on their channels so that you can learn how to create your own content.
- Have a strategy for posting. If you use a typical business strategy then you may feel that it is too formal or corporate to work for you as an artist but it is essential if you really want to consistently get more fans. By utilizing this type of structure, you can focus more on actually creating music and rehearsing. When it comes to your social media strategy, you should ensure that you keep in mind the type of brand that you want to build and what you want your fans to do with respect to your posts.